Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Land of Cute--Coffee Creamers

I don't usually post Land of Cute twice in the same week, but we were out of coffee creamer (and something else which I can no longer remember).  I sent my husband to the store.  This is what he came home with:

















Can you tell what it is?  Start at the top--rabbit...dragon....snake.... the Zodiac!  Well!  I was utterly charmed.  The chinese zodiac on coffee creamers!  Last night I got the chicken (酉 とり--Tori);  this morning I had the dog (戌=いぬ Inu)
うさぎ (usagi) The Year of the Rabbit

Next cup of coffee--I want the rabbit...cho kawaii!  He's adorned with a plum blossom, too.  My oldest is a dragon (which means he'll turn 12 next year.  Already?!). (辰=たつ Tatsu=Dragon)






...I'm a 申(さる)--Monkey (Saru).  Teddy (my itazura-ko) is the 午(うま), Horse (Uma), though it seems we ought to be reversed.  Cici is a Monkey with me, as is my mother-in-law, which means that all the women in my husband's life are Monkeys...
I wonder if that says anything about him? :-))


My husband is the Boar (Inoshishi)...

Rat (Nezumi), Cow (Ushi), Tiger (Tora)
Here are the rest...

Which one are you?

(p.s.--I always wondered why there is no Year of the Kitteh.  Legend has it that the Cat, who never woke before noon, was late to answer the call of the Jade Emporer.  Historians have this to say:

"Most historians agree that Cat is not in the list since the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac were formed before Cats were introduced to China from India with Buddhism."  (via Wiki)

Aha.  Mata asobou, ne!

5 comments:

  1. Are the individuals portions the only kind of cream available, or can you buy, say, half pints of cream or half-and-half? I thought the Japanese were green, and wouldn't waste packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy half pints of cream (there's no half-and-half, though)--and don't get me started on plastic packaging. In spite of the "mottainai" tradition, and the many ways in which they are *much* greener than Americans, packaging is not one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. huh, that's really interesting about the cat.
    I'm a rooster. So is my twin sister (duh) but also my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinks: surely there's a cat in the list already, albeit a rather big one? Orange in colour, black stripes . . .

    Talking of cats, here's one from the Japan Times:

    http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nc20110112rm.html
    (scroll to foot of page)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why...so there is! Very clever of you to notice;-)) Yokoso!

    Ha! Just checked the Japan Times--want! This apartment *does* get cold (we don't even use the north room in the winter--you can see your breath in there, for pete's sake)...thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete